Being involved in any car accident is an overwhelming experience but one that involves a commercial dump truck can carry significant consequences compared to your average accident. Dump trucks, due to their massive size and cargo capacity, have the potential to cause extensive damage and severe injuries in an accident, often carrying debris, sand, rocks, or construction materials.
When a collision is linked to a commercial vehicle like a dump truck, the complexity of the situation is magnified. Beyond the driver at fault, other parties such as the trucking company or affiliated contractors come into play—factors that might not have crossed your mind initially. Given the intricacy of such cases, navigating them alone can be daunting. Seeking the counsel and guidance of a seasoned Dallas truck accident attorney can help ensure that you receive the justice you deserve.
At the Law Offices of Tim O’Hare, we are experienced with many types of auto accident cases including commercial truck accidents. This article will provide you with actionable steps to take immediately following the accident.
1. Stay in a safe location.
Stay at the scene of the accident in a safe location until the proper authorities arrive. If you are able to do so safely, check on the other driver and exchange the necessary information including names, phone numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance details.
2. Notify emergency services.
Unfortunately, dump truck accidents frequently result in substantial property damage and driver injuries. Promptly involving law enforcement and other first responders is a prudent decision, as a comprehensive police report holds pivotal significance for your forthcoming case.
3. Be honest and tell the truth.
When discussing the accident with the other driver or the police, be honest and tell the truth about what happened. By telling the truth, you help ensure that the situation is properly understood and assessed and that your words are not later used against you.
4. Gather evidence.
If you are safely able to, take video and photos of the vehicles involved, any damages incurred, and even debris from the vehicles scattered on the roadway. Photographs revealing various angles and perspectives can provide a comprehensive view of the situation. Often dump trucks and other commercial vehicles will have identifying information posted on the sides or rear of their vehicle, including who the vehicle is owned by, and if applicable, the vehicle’s USDOT Number.
5. Seek medical attention.
When you are dealing with a dump truck crash, you should be prepared to seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine and have no visible injuries, adrenaline can mask pain and other symptoms. As such, at the first sign of pain or injury, it is critical to get yourself checked by a medical professional to rule out any underlying issues as soon as you are able.
When undergoing any type of medical care, it is important to report all injuries and symptoms so the injuries can be properly treated and thoroughly documented and recorded. Dump truck accidents can result in severe injuries that require extensive medical attention and prolonged rehabilitation. Keep track of all medical bills, treatment plans, and medications to establish the full extent of the damages.
6. Notify your insurance.
By reaching out to your insurer without delay, you set the wheels in motion for a smoother claims process. Your insurance provider needs to be informed of the incident, allowing them to guide you through the necessary procedures. Timely communication ensures that your rights are protected and the necessary steps are taken to address any damages or injuries that have occurred. If you have certain types of coverage, the damage to your vehicle can be resolved by working with your own insurance, leaving you to focus on recovering from your injuries.
7. Contact a truck accident lawyer immediately.
Seek legal guidance from a personal injury lawyer who is well-versed in truck accidents and the regulations concerning the (commercial) rules of the road. Most people are afraid they can’t afford legal representation after an accident. One thing to remember: personal injury lawyers like the ones at The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare do not get paid until you do so reach out promptly for help.
Since commercial accidents are more complex, they do require an experienced truck accident attorneys for several reasons:
- Complex federal and state laws concerning commercial trucks: Most people involved in a commercial truck accident do not understand the various laws governing trucking companies and truck driver behavior. An experienced lawyer will know how to navigate these regulations and statutes to construct the most robust claim seeking compensation for damages against not only the truck driver but also their employer and any other potentially responsible parties.
- Multiple at-fault parties may be in play: While it’s clear that the driver and their affiliated dump trucking company are typically the primary entities accountable for damages in a truck accident case, it’s important to note that the scope of liability can extend further. Depending on the specifics of your accident, other responsible parties might include the truck owner, cargo owner, truck maintenance firm, and even equipment manufacturer.
- Representing you against commercial litigators: Numerous trucking companies and commercial vehicles are often affiliated with large corporations. Consequently, these companies often possess dedicated legal teams and comprehensive insurance coverage at their disposal. In other words, they will spend large amounts of their time and resources to make sure they don’t lose a profit on a case like yours. Having an experienced lawyer in your corner can help you fight against the big guys to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
By taking these immediate actions, you can set yourself up for success in your dump truck accident claim.
Experiencing a dump truck accident can be a traumatic and life-changing event. It is crucial to prioritize your health and recovery following the accident which is why hiring the right truck accident lawyer is highly recommended. A qualified lawyer can fight for your rights and fair compensation while you get your life back again.
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Dallas Truck Accident Lawyer
At The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare, we comprehend the profound emotional, physical, and financial impact an accident can have on your entire family. If you’ve been involved in a collision with a dump truck driver and are grappling with uncertainties regarding your case and potential compensation, rest assured that our team of Dallas truck accident attorneys is at your service.
Our legal experts possess extensive familiarity with intricate trucking regulations and have successfully secured millions in compensation for our clients impacted by truck accidents. Contact us to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.