Losing a loved one is one of the most devastating experiences one can go through. It’s even more tragic when the death was caused by someone else’s negligence and could have been avoided. In the context of a car accident, a wrongful death can leave surviving family members with a range of emotions, from anger to deep sorrow. In just a split second, their lives are forever changed.
Car accidents are devastating events that can occur at any moment. As reported by TxDOT, there were an estimated 5,620 semi-truck accidents in Texas in 2022. There were 6,710 accidents involving motor vehicles on Texas roads and highways. Nearly double the national average, 1,228 people lost their lives due to the 928 fatal accidents. As you can see, these accidents can be devastating, leaving family and friends to deal with the aftermath. If you have lost a loved one recently due to a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed, confused, and unsure of what steps to take. That is where The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare can help.
Our Dallas Car Accident Attorneys understand the pain and suffering that a family experiences after losing a loved one in a car accident. We have helped many families through this difficult time, and we are committed to providing our clients with the support and guidance they need to seek justice.
In this blog post, we will discuss what to do if a loved one is killed in a car accident, including legal and practical steps that can be taken to protect your rights and interests.
- Seek medical attention: The first and most important step is to seek medical attention for anyone who has been injured in the accident. If your loved one has passed away, you should call emergency services immediately. It is important to remember that even if your loved one appears to be unharmed, they may have sustained internal injuries that could be life-threatening.
- Contact the police: You should contact the police as soon as possible after the accident. The police will investigate the accident and create a report that will be important in any legal proceedings that may follow. Make sure to get the name and badge number of the responding officer, as well as a copy of the police report.
- Collect evidence: If possible, you should take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to vehicles or property. You should also gather contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident. This evidence can be useful in establishing liability and proving damages in any legal proceedings.
- Notify your insurance company: You should notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible. Your insurance company will investigate the accident and provide you with guidance on how to proceed. If you have a policy that includes uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, this may be an option to help cover the costs of the accident.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: It is important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the accident. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, protect your rights, and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Your attorney can also communicate with insurance companies and handle any negotiations or litigation on your behalf.
- Consider filing a wrongful death claim: If your loved one was killed in the accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault driver. A wrongful death claim can provide compensation for damages such as medical expenses, funeral costs, lost income, and pain and suffering.
- Seek emotional support: Losing a loved one in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. It is important to seek emotional support from friends, family, or a professional counselor to help you cope with your loss.
Our Dallas Car Accident Attorneys Are Here to Assist You
If you’ve lost a loved one or family member in a car accident, we are so sorry for your loss.
At The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare, we have extensive experience in handling car accident cases, including those involving fatalities. While there is no monetary amount that can reverse the loss of life, our skilled team can help your family navigate a wrongful death case and receive the compensation you deserve. Our compassionate attorneys are here to help you through this difficult time and help fight for your rights. Contact us today for a free consultation.